Followers

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Fears of unintentional racism as Apple launches line of ethnically diverse emoji

Source: www.newsbiscuit.com --- Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Industry experts predict a sharp increase in the number of mobile phone users choosing voice calls over text messages for fear of being branded a horrible racist following Apple’s unveiling of a new line of ethnically diverse emoji. The cartoonish face icons included in Apple’s iOS and OS X operating systems were given a splash of colour by the Cupertino-based company earlier this week in order to make them more inclusive and ethnically diverse. But users of Apple’s products are now gravely concerned that their misuse of the icons might cause everyone around them to hate them and chase them with sticks. ‘Am I supposed to use the emoji that most looks like me, or the one that looks like the person I’m sending the message to?’ asked one distressed Apple fan on an online forum. ‘Apple really needs to make this clearer!’ White, middle-class Britons especially seem to be unsure of how they are supposed to use the new icons. ‘Would always using the Caucasian-looking one be misconstrued by my friends and coworkers as an indication of my secret desire for an all-white Britain?’ asked a concerned Mac user from Croydon. ‘Maybe I’ll just use them all in order. Not that there’s an ‘order’ to race or anything. I mean—oh god, am I racist? I am, aren’t I?’ With no official guidelines to refer to, Apple users around the globe have set about deciding their own rules for how and when to use the new emojis in their messages. Others, meanwhile, are ...



from Apple http://ift.tt/2moZaAm

No comments:

Post a Comment